16.2.07

Supposed To?

Supposed to! Supposed, as defined by the so-called "experts," whatever that title entails, or requires, is defined as (1)(a) Pretended, or (b) Alleged; and (2)(a) Believed or Imagined, or (b) Considered probable or certain, expected, or (c) Understood; and finally, (3) Permitted.

Who, exactly, is doing this pretending, alleging, believing, expecting, understanding, or permitting?

I am 'supposed' to behave. I am 'supposed' to act as a proper adult. I am 'supposed' to head to bed at some reasonable hour. Who is doing this supposing? Suppose, for a moment, that I do not wish to do as I am supposed. Seems a little circular I suppose. I suppose that I will try eliminate the word from my vocabulary. I suppose you should as well, do you not suppose that may be helpful. Some suppose that it would.

I have grown, in the past few days that I have been pondering this word, perhaps one of the great imponderables, to hate this word. I simply do not like the way it rolls off the tongue, nor the way it looks. I believe the root of this anger and frustration is not with the word itself, so much as what the word connotes.

Think about it! Does anyone present you with hypotheticals when something good happens? I suppose not! People present hypotheticals, most often in my experience, when trying to make you either (1) see an example of how you should have done something absent your proper execution of a particular task or (2) when you have done something that they disapprove of. For example, "Suppose you had use dish soap to clean that 'Pepsi' from that DVD instead of High Abrasive 'Ajax' cleanser. Don't you Suppose that would have been better?" You see my point. Well maybe you don't but with a pinch of time and a scintilla of effort, I Suppose that you could.

I just do not like the fact that there are people who are Supposed to Suppose how I should act.

I expect that you will consider it probable and understand if I will no longer permit the usage of the word Suppose in my company any longer considering this sentence contains four alternatives, perhaps maybe more I believe (5), of the word Suppose.

Good luck and enjoy the rest of your day.

Until next time when we will lament the word 'used.' Does anyone really think that getting used to something is a good thing in most circumstances? 'Used' to it? Say it out loud and see how odd it really sounds!




No comments: